Team of Experts
The design and development department has a wide pool of expertise and is supporting our customers to solve the complex thermodynamic challenges by providing the best possible heat exchanger solutions for our customers. Our heat exchanger solutions are highly durable, thermodynamically optimized and economically attractive. We work with a number of material technologies, including both aluminum and copper/brass materials. The choice of material depends on the functionality for a specific application and the preference of customers. The range of tasks includes:
• the development of heat exchangers, application specifically optimized components (primary & secondary surfaces) and manufacturing processes.
• the development of custom-designed thermal design software enabling us to select appropriate dimensioning applicable to the use case and environment.
• Working in close collaboration with our suppliers and customers to develop new solutions optimizing durability, reparability, thermal performance and minimizing entropic and parasitic losses.
• Precise validation & verification of each new product through structural, durability and heat transfer testing either in-house or together with our external partners.
• Designing heat exchangers which operate more efficiently and reduce customers operating costs. This can be achieved i.e. by minimizing fan power requirements as fuel gets conserved.
Once the thermodynamic, material scientific and mechanical design is completed, Salama R&D supports our customers with rapid prototyping – a process where digital solutions gets manufactured into a physical sample for Validation and Verification. This enables to address the manufacturability side of the design but also enables to complement the software with thermal, mechanical, surface engineering and other required tests and validation processes. Testing and evaluation of heat exchangers is essential in order to validate each new product type through structural, durability and heat transfer requirements.
We produce a wide range of heat exchangers from passenger car to power plant scale and for a wide variety of applications. What does not change is the fact that our heat exchangers come with outstanding heat transfer coefficients, reducing operating costs and providing maximum economic efficiency.
Measuring and testing equipment
Despite comprehensive knowledge of heat transfer science, decades of practical experience and the support of advanced numerical calculations, in the context of the approval of a new cooling system it is necessary to investigate its actual performance.
In particular, studies of useful life under thermal and mechanical loads as well as challenging environmental conditions, are often necessary since the specifications of high-performance heat exchangers push the materials to their limits.
Several tests are available for:
• Pressure cycling tests (low pressure, high pressure)
• Thermal cycle testing
• Vibration tests for excitation in one or three spatial dimensions
• Accelerated corrosion tests
• Wind-tunnel tests
• Optical microscopy and material analysis
• CFD and FEA analysis